But the question is: why should companies consider adopting the new generation of a ‘digital workplace’ into their own infrastructures?
Digital workplace – the essential tool
A personalized, prioritized and easily customized digital workplace – with elements of machine learning to simplify setup even more – is still a dream for many large companies.
But the truth is, the digital workplace is a must-have tool. It’s an accelerator that applies across industries, boosting work enablement and efficiency. Here’s why:
1. Increases mobility: With employees becoming more and more mobile, their place of work is becoming irrelevant. Whether at the average office desk, typing on a laptop in a coffee shop or answering a conference call from home, location just isn’t a big factor anymore. This makes the digital workplace all the more important. Being able to stay connected to your peers no matter when and where they are is crucial to avoid time constraints in business processes.
2. Improves visibility: Having a shared collaborative platform also improves the transparency of work processes and tasks. Instead of wondering if an employee has worked on a project or not, the project is visible from start to finish. This improves communication in regards to reporting and avoids miscommunication.
3. Provides personalization with a clear user interface: The digital workplace enhances the digital dexterity of every employee by providing personalized virtual dashboards, subscription options and task prioritization. Depending on the user’s role, it is important to make feasible services, access rights, a list of subscriptions and collaboration methods accessible. Being able to control colors, placement of icons, and other stylistic options customizes the interface to every employee, suiting it to their needs. (Users don’t have to look for the ‘Send’ button anymore with an interface that’s user-friendly and appealing!) With a proper setup, users can access information and update tasks quickly, providing performance growth for every employee – and the whole organization as a result.
4. Meets the expectation for immediate communication: It is imperative to react promptly to other employees as well as clients, no matter where you are or what time zone you are in. Having necessary contacts and business applications on hand enables quick information exchanges, which are necessary for a company that wants to keep up with their competitors. Naturally, being able to help others quickly gets tasks done faster. For example, Luxoft’s user-friendly internal hub, MyHome, connects all services, information and business applications together all in one place (see below). This makes a convenient and customized workplace for all our employees possible.
Let’s imagine a scenario: A group of managers in a big global company is working on a pre-sale pitch and presentation for a potential customer.
To begin the pre-sale procedure, the group stores the presentation on a shared platform, editable by each group member so each individual can work on their own parts. To optimize this project, it is important to assure people from the group can:
• Navigate the platform easily with user-friendly colors and visuals, like clear action buttons (‘Save’, ‘Send’, etc.)
• Depend on the platform to be reliable, since the IT department isn’t necessarily accessible at every office or location
• Receive real-time updates on the client opportunity as other departments come upon them
• Have access to the shared files and contribute to document changes in real time
• Immediately create a group chat if any questions arise while preparing the deck
• Quickly find the right employees with the proper skillsets and knowledge to support them
These points encompass what a digital workplace is capable of. Having an engaging digital workplace allows employees to execute tasks easily and promptly. In comparison, a company not utilizing a digital workplace takes a lot more time to complete collaborative work, as it can become confusing and disjointed. Engaging employees with user-friendly interfaces and clearly represented action items guarantees a seamless process from start to finish.
Listen up, big companies
For large enterprises, implementing a seamless digital workplace is particularly important to stay relevant in this new digital era. The amount of data, differentiated tools and various levels of visibility and transparency of processes across departments can make the workflow overwhelming, unorganized and ineffective. Unfortunately, large enterprises may even disregard the need for a more cohesive workplace until it becomes critical for business execution.
However, those who implement a digital workplace early reap visible benefits, which are reflected in the organization’s efficiency and speedup. Investing in a seamless experience from point A to point B by providing employees an interactive platform that increases their work-life balance is important. And with a great interface comes faster processes, so users aren’t spending extra time looking for the necessary tools to execute simple actions.
Need assistance getting started? We can help
We at Luxoft understand the growing need for digital change. With our experience in providing advanced technology to multiple industries, we help those wishing to take the next step in digital transformation. As employees become increasingly dependent on mobile devices and become less tolerant of inefficient processes and technologies, they expect changes in the workplace to fit their needs, with a clear user interface at the forefront.
The best internal business application is mobile-first and solves the main user’s task without being bombarded with too much irrelevant information. A digital workplace can even serve as an ideas generation/gathering platform that implements employee surveys and feedback pages to improve workplace policies, procedures, and even the collaborative platform’s interface – so every employee feels involved in what they do every day.
Be sure to
Head of Digital Experience, Luxoft